The Table 410 &

Kim Finishes in 34th Place

In Borgata World Poker Open


Wins $1,384


Kim Finished 34th in a 1,182 person field on Sept. 3, proportionally his highest finish ever in a $300 + entry tournament.

Kim has won nine tournaments, but never a sanctioned national tournament of this level.

The entry fee was $350 and Kim took his seat at 11 am sharp in the Borgata Hotel Ballroom.

At 11:43 am, disaster struck. On the little blind, Kim called with Q7. He did a doubletake when the flop came 772. Kim checked, the player to his left checked, and a player at the other end of the table made a bluff at the pot. Both kim and the player to his left called.

When a four fell on the river, the player to the left made a $1,300 bet and Kim called. He had a full house with 74, a mentally debiliating defeat that left Kim with just 2200 of the 6000 he had started with.

But Kim then began a comeback, winning two hands with pocket queens and another hand with kings over jacks. Three hours into the tournament, Kim had fought his way back to the 6,000 chips that he started with.

The turning point occurred when Kim raised the blinds with KQ and got two callers. He flopped a straight A K 10 , and a new player on his left went all in. Kim called and the opponent showed pocket tens. he failed to fill up and Kim moved up to 15,000 chips.

He then beat an opponents AK, and on the next hand won with AK. By midnight Kim had worked his way up to 100,000 chips.

The top 100 finishers all cashed and Kim played carefully as the number of live players moved to 109, 102 and finally 100.

But no sooner did he make the money than disaster struck when Kim's pocket kings were beat by 67; then on the very next hand, Kim had jacks and was beaten by KK. One two hands, Kim had lost 80,000 chips. Incredibly on the next hand, Kim found Kings again! He went all in and was called by a player with QQ. The kings held up and Kim was back to 54,000 chips. He then raised with AJ and was called by a guy with 56. Kim doubled again to hit 92,000 chips, but when the game adjourned for the night, blinds and antes had knocked him down to 44,000.

At 2 pm the next day, Kim was one of 36 finalists but he went out in 34th place after failing to get a single playable hand.

Table Scraps


Table Heals

In Santa Barbara

Screws Removed From

Ankles Chips Cleared


Predicts Strong 4yo Year


May Go to Mike Puype

Table Four Ten in the Red Shadow Roll at Right: Chart of 4/23 Win Below


The 410 Pedigree

Traced to Darley Arabian

Early History:

In the early 1600s, Darcy's White Turk produced the mare Luggs, who was bred to Davills Woodcock Mare, a daughter, of Davills Old Woodcock by Family Number Nineteen. When their daughter, The Luggs Mare, was bred to Snake, the result was Snake Mare who in 1723, was bred to Woods Counsellor, a 24-year old descendent of the Oglethorpe Arabian, brought to England in the early 1600s.  The result was a pair of twins, Thunderbolt and Sister to Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt would sire no significant offspring. But Sister to Thunderbolt would produce six fillies and three colts. One of those fillies was Coughing Polly, born in 1736 to Bartlett's  Childers. a son of The Darley Arabian out of Betty Leedes.

The Darley Arabian had been born on the Syrian desert outside the town of Aleppo. There Thomas Darley, a British merchant and member of a local hunting club fell for the colt and arranged for his purchase for 300 golden sovereigns. When the Arabians owner, Sheik Mirza II reneged on the deal, Darley smuggled the colt out of Smyrna and took him to England in 1704. The Darley Arabian was sent to Aldby Hall near the town of Leedes, hopeful that his quality would be appreciated by fellow Yorkshiremen. The Darley stood stud at Aldby from 1706 to 1719. He died 11 years later at the age of 30.  One of his best sons was a colt named Childers. known as Flying Childers by Betty Leedes. Flying Childers was believed to have been the fastest horse thatwas ever trained in England up to that point in time.

It was a year after the birth of "Flying" Childers that Betty Leedes gave birth to Bartlett's Childers. He never raced but came to overshadow his older brother in the breeding shed. Among the sons produced by Bartlett's Childers was Squirt, who was the sire of Marske, who produced Eclipse, for whom the greatest awards in racing are named.. But none of his offspring would be more significant than the daughter named Coughing Polly, born in 1736.  Coughing Polly won numerous races in in Yorkshire, including the King's Plate.

In 1745 Coughing Polly was bred to Bolton Starling. Bred and raced between 1731 and 1734;  Bolton Starling was owned by the Duke of Bolton and won the Great Stakes at Newmarket in 1732, a 300 guinea match against Mr. Panton's Mouse over four miles at Newmarket.  He was put to stud by Edward Leedes and his best daughter was Grey Starling, who became the mother of champion filly Tuberose. In 1787 Tuberose  was bred to Young Marske who had briefly been raced by Augustus Henry Fitzroy, the Third Duke of Grafton. Unfortunately he went lame in his first race, but stood stud until his death in October of 1800 at the age of 29.  In 1787 Tuberrose, who won the Doncaster Cup, and Young Marske produced the mare Contessina. Contessina in 1796 was bred to Walnut, whose mother Maiden, was a granddaughter of the Godolphin Arabian himself through his son Cade born in 1734 and his legendary son Matchem born in 1748.

The result was Constantia who in 1806 was mated with the legendary Hambletonian, a grandson of Eclipse through his son King Fergus. King Fergus was not the best of Eclipse's sons, but became the pre-eminent turf sire of his age giving birth to Hambletonian in 1792. Hambletonian won both the St. Leger and Doncaster Cup twice. Out of 17 starts, he failed to win only once.  He was sent to stud at Hornsey's stables in Middlethorpe at the modest sum of 10 guineas per mare. There Constatia and King Fergus gave life to Lisette. In 1814 Lisette bore the unnamed Orville Mare, after being inbred to Orville, a grandson of King Fergus through his most successful offspring Beningbrough.

 The highlights of Beningbrough's  four years on the turf, running for Sir Charles Turner, included winning the Doncaster Cup, the Doncaster St. Leger and some races at York and Doncaster. At the beginning of 1797, his last year on the turf, Beningbrough, ran twice, and then was retired to stud at Shipton. He sired Briseus (1803) and Oriana (1804), both Oaks winners; Orville (1799), who won the St. Leger and was leading sire in England twice; and for a time it looked as if the King Fergus sire line was secure with Orville, who got five classic winners, including Derby winner Priam.

The Orville Mare produced only one filly of note. Her name was The Twinkle, born in 1821 to the sire Walton.  Walton was sired  by Sir Peter Teazle in 1799 and was a grandson of Highflyer, one f the greatest Enlish runners. Walton could go a distance of ground but was never considered the top of Highflyer's progeny.  At age three Walton won a two mile heat race at Epsom, beating four others, his only placing in three outings. At age four he won the Oatlands handicap at Newmarket Craven, beating the 1801 Oaks winner Eleanor, and at Newmarket First Spring won 50 sovereigns in a race against Lignum Vitae. Sent to York, he lost a three mile sweepstakes for four year olds after a dead heat; back at Newmarket in October, he finished his four year old season by winning the King's Plate, beating the good horse Orlando. At age five, in 1804, he ran second to Aniseed in the Craven Stakes at Newmarket, then successively won the King's Plate at Newmarket First Spring, a 200 guineas match (forfeit) against Little Joey, the King's Plate at Guildford ( 2 miles); the King's Plate at Sailsbury (four miles), beating Little Chance; the King's Plate at Winchester (four miles) and a walk-over in another race the same day; the King's Plate at Warwick, beating John Bull in two heats over four miles; the King's Plate at Lichfield (3 miles) beating Ashton and Orlando. This successive string of victories ended with his last race of the season, the King's Plate at Newmarket First October, where he ran third to Parasol.

In his final season, age six, he began at Newmarket Craven with a win over four miles in a match against the great mare Penelope, later dam of Whalebone and Whisker. At Newmarket Spring meeting he won a match for 300 guineas over the Beacon Course, and a three mile-four furlong race against Pipylin and Parasol. At Newmarket Second Spring he ran second in the Jockey Club Plate. At Brighton he won the four mile Somerset Stakes, but he and the horses that ran second and third were off-course, and the win was given to the fourth place horse, Orville. Walton was retired to stud at the end of 1805, and did not run in 1806, but he was brought back to run in the Craven Stakes at Newmarket in 1807, where he ran second to Selim in a field of eleven "high-class" horses.

 In the stud however Walton produced several good runners including Partison who became a top sire of steeplechase runners. He led the list of best sires in Great Britain twice, in 1816 and again in 1818. But none of his daughters would be more significant than The Twinkle produced through the Orville Mare in 1821.

In  1828, The Twinkle was sent to Whisker, whose sire Waxy who was considered one of the finest conformed horses England had ever seen.  One observer said of Waxy, "perfect in symmetry, beautiful in color, admirable in all his paces, and of the finest temper, when in work." Purchased by Richard, Earl of Grosvenor, to stand at stud; sold in 1808 to Augustus Fitzroy, (3rd) Duke of Grafton where Waxy became a principal progenitor of the Darley Arabian sire line.  In 1828 Whisker and The Twinkle produced a mare named Cast Steel., who in 1835 was bred to Langar, out of an unnamed Walton mare.  Thus Garland as she was named was inbred to Walton on both the dam and sire side, The Twinkle being out of Walton, and Garland's sire Langar also being out of Walton.

In 1859, Garland was sent to Stockwell, one  of England's greatest horses, who won 11 of 16 starts in his career. Stockwell was an influential nineteenth century stallion whose sire sons are largely responsible for perpetuating the Eclipse sire line into the present. Called "The Emperor of Stallions" in his own time, having dominated the sire list in England in the 1860s, subsequent generations in descent have only confirmed the appropriateness of the title, for the early twentieth century stallion, Phalaris, descends in direct male line from him, and consequently so do such influential stallions as Northern Dancer and Nasrullah and all their sons and grandsons including a future Kentucky Derby runner up named Alydar and his progenitors and sons such as Benchmark.

Stockwell was born at the Stockwell Surrey, stud farm of William Theobald, in 1849, and was named after that place. The aging Theobald -- in his eighties when Stockwell was foaled -- "and many other good judges" considered him "to be on too large a scale" as a youngster, but Theobald's stud groom, John Lowry, brought him to the attention of Brownlow Cecil, 2nd Marquess of Exeter. Exeter was a prominent member of the Jockey Club, who had been racing horses for over thirty years. Exeter  also thought Stockwell "over-large," but purchased him, as a yearling, for 180 sovereigns, with a contingency of 500 more if Stockwell should win the Derby. Thus, Stockwell was sold privately and sent to Exeter's stud farm at Newmarket, just before Theobald's death in 1850 . Stockwell grew to be a large horse, over 16 hands in height, and, in the words of one turf writer, "the very incarnation of ugliness." He was plain-headed, with more than a hint of a Roman nose, had tied-in shoulders, and a hind end that was likened to that of a cart horse's. However, his legs had excellent bone and he had good feet, and that cart horse hind-end proved to be a powerful motor that made him a good race horse and an excellent weight-carrier. His way of going was, by all accounts, poor in its action, but it did not prevent him from being one of the fastest horses on the turf in his time. He was a golden chesnut as a younger horse, but the color deepened as he aged, and he had some dark spots in his coat now called "Bend Or Spots," after his grandson, who also displayed them.

Stockwell was not, according to a groom who knew him in his last eight years, "...blessed with the best of tempers; indeed, he was a bit of a savage." 

He did not win the Derby. instead running  eighth in heavy going. His previous wins had not impressed the betting public, and he went off at odds of 16 to 1, well behind the more favored well-tried Little Harry and others. Some later turf commentators said Stockwell had had a gumboil lanced just prior to the race, which affected his running. Whatever the reason for this loss, he overcame it in a decisive manner, since he ran unbeaten -in eight successive races in the rest of the season. His last three races included a walk-over for the Foal Stakes; a three-length victory "in a canter" in the Grand Duke Michael Stakes, beating the Cesarewitch winner Muscovite; and an easy two-length win in the Newmarket St. Leger.

Probably the greatest testament to Stockwell's influence in the stud is the fact that the bulk of graded stakes winners, and consequently successful sires, in the world today trace back to him primarily through his grandson, Bend Or, and, in modern times through his distant male line descendant Phalaris. Well over 70 percent of stakes winning horses in the late 1990s descend in tail-male from Phalaris (1913) through Northern Dancer, Nasrullah, Turn-To, and Raise a Native and Alydar to Benchmark.

Stockwell had a successful run as a stallion, from 1855 until his death in a breeding shed accident in 1870 at age 21. Stockwell was also a good broodmare sire, although there his influence on the breed is, in comparison, significantly less. Stockwell died on May 5, 1870, when, rearing as he was brought into the covering yard, he fell over backwards on his tail, breaking his spine in four places and piercing his rectum; he got up and proceded to cover the mare, his last. Nine days later, pacing his box stall in pain, "...he gave a loud neigh and dropped to the ground dead." It was, a Hooton employee later said, "the gamest death I ever saw." Buried before his vacationing owner could return home, he was later exhumed and his skeleton was sent to the British Museum in London. 

Five years earlier, in 1865, Garland and Stockwell's daughter Vertumna  was bred to Ascot Gold Cup Winner Skirmisher and in 1865, they gave birth to Skirmisher Mare.  Vertumna's mother, Garland, had been a daughter of Langar.  Skirmisher was also descended from a Langar mare producing a double flow of the blood of Selim, who had sired Langar.

It had been said of Selim that he was "So full of quality, and so majestic altogether that no one would have suspected him to be the workman he was at all distance.  His dam, weedy as a youngster, was given away; a costly error for her owner, the Duke of Queensberry, for she foaled the "wonderful leash of brothers," Selim, Castrel (1801) and Rubens(1805), and Oaks winner Bronze (1803). Selim ran between 1806 and 1808, winning the Oatlands at Newmarket twice, and the Craven Stakes at Newmarket in 1807. He bested the mare Lydia in a 200 guineas match in 1808, but failed to win thereafter; his final race was a match at Newmarket that year, where he was beaten by the top racemare Violante. Retired to the Duke of Cumberland's stud, he was given to Colonel Leigh when it was dispersed. He became the sire of Langar.

In 1876, the Skirmisher Mare was bred to the stallion Wenlock. They produced Astwith who in 1885 would be mated to Reverberation, a grandson of Stockwell. That history making daughter born in 1885 was named Concussion.

Concussion  in turn produced SIRENIA in 1895 to the cover of Gallinule.  Sirenia was an unbeaten juvenile in Ireland, whose wins included the Anglesey Stakes and the National Produce Stakes. In England she won Kempton's Duke of York Stakes, the Lancashire Handicap at Manchester and Kempton's Great Jubilee Handicap and October Plate. Her nine races netted her 7,736 in winnings. She bred seven winners, including 2,000 Guineas winner Tournament (by Spearmint) but none more significant than  1,000 Guineas winner Electra .

In 1906 Sirenia had been sent to a stallion named Eager. Eager was by Enthusiast,  a colt of Yardley Stud breeding,who  ran second twice at age two, in the Criterion Stakes and the Middle Park Plate (won by Donovan). He beat the favored Donovan by a head in the 2,000 Guineas, but failed to place in the Derby and the St. Leger, both won by the brilliant and genuine Donovan. Like his dam, Cherry Duchess, who won four times as a juvenile, never over more than five furlongs, he was generally unable to go a distance. His son, EAGER (1894), won the Rous Memorial Stakes at Ascot and Newmarket's July Cup and was later a successful sire of 1,000 Guineas winner Electra

In  1913 the great Electra was covered by a stallion named St. Frusquin. St. Frusquin was bred and raced by Leopold de Rothschild, a member of the famed European banking family. The Rothschild family had been prominent on the British turf for most of the century, their colors carried by such horses as King Tom, Tormentor, Hannah, Sir Bevys and a score of others. "Mr. Leopold," one of the most popular members of the Jockey Club, was a long-time friend of Persimmon's owner and breeder, the Prince of Wales, who had attended Rothschild's 1881 wedding to Marie Perugia. Rothschild's. British breeding establishment, Southcourt Stud, was near the town of Leighton Buzzard, in Bedfordshire.

The dam of St. Frusquin, Isabel, was modestly bred, being by Plebeian, who only ran once, winning the Middle Park Stakes, and out of a daughter of Parmesan. Isabel had been a decent enough filly on the track, winning eleven races, including the Queen's Plate and the Summer Cup at Newmarket. As a broodmare, St. Frusquin was her best offspring, though before him she had produced the stakes winners Mirabelle and High Havens.

St. Frusquin was a medium size brown colt with a star and snip on his face, top-heavy and on the leg; he had none of the sleekness and elegance of his rival, Persimmon. He was a precocious colt, but was also unsound most of his life. During his racing career, he suffered from rheumatism, which at one time knocked him out of training for a few months. But when he was right, he was a very high class colt, defeated only twice in his eleven starts, finishing second both those times. Trained at Newmarket by Alfred Hayhoe, St. Frusquin quickly established himself as one of the best young colts in the country with his juvenile campaign. He came out for the first time at Kempton Park, in the Royal Two-Year-Old Plate, and won easily. Then came victories in the Sandringham Gold Cup at Sandown and the Chesterfield Stakes, run at Newmarket.

St. Frusquin was out of action for three months with a bad bout of rheumatism, and when he re-emerged in the Imperial Produce Stakes, he finished second by half a length to a horse called Teufel, who carried 124 pounds to the 136 pound burden laid on St. Frusquin. He then entered the winner's enclosure again, for the Middle Park Plate.

At age three, St. Frusquin started the season with a win in the Column Produce Stakes, and then went on to easily take the Two Thousand Guineas. He was then prepared to take on Persimmon and ten others in the Derby at Epsom. St. Frusquin was the favorite over Persimmon, but then the Prince's colt was making his first start since being beaten by St. Frusquin the previous autumn. The two St. Simon colts were expected to have the race between them, and that is how it ensued. St. Frusquin held the advantage until about a furlong out, and then was challenged by Persimmon. The two horses battled through the straight until Persimmon, even after a slight bobble, gained a slight lead and went under the wire a neck in front of his rival. There were tremendous cheers from the crowd for the victory of the Prince of Wales in the classic race, but St. Frusquin lost nothing in defeat.

The next race between the two took place at Newmarket, in the Princess of Wales' Stakes. This time, it was St. Frusquin, getting three pounds from Persimmon, who emerged victorious. The margin of victory was half a length. Sadly, this was the last time the two would ever meet. Persimmon was put away until the St. Leger. The Eclipse Stakes at Sandown Park was then basically left to the mercy of the Rothschild colt. The two St. Simon colts had met three times, with St. Frusquin emerging the victor twice.

A fine field of four went to post for the Eclipse. The Duke of Westminster entered a beautifully bred pair--Regret, a stakes winning son of Sheen-Farewell, and Labrador, a good third to St. Frusquin in the Two Thousand Guineas, who was by Sheen, and out of Ornament. The other entrant was the Duke of Portland's Troon, a full brother to Derby winner Ayrshire, and a major winner in his own right. Before his untimely death that same year, Troon accounted for the St. James Palace Stakes and the Sussex Stakes. St. Frusquin stalked until late in the race, and then passed Regret and Troon to win very easily by one and a half lengths.

After the Eclipse Stakes, a rematch against Persimmon was eagerly awaited. Before that could happen, St. Frusquin broke down during training for the St. Leger. The injury to the delicate colt was sprained suspensory ligaments in both forelegs. There was no choice but to retire him to stud. He was sent back to Rothschild's Southcourt Stud, while Persimmon went on to glory in the St. Leger that fall and the Ascot Gold Cup and Eclipse Stakes the next summer. St. Frusquin enjoyed a long, successful stud career. He was leading sire twice, compared to Persimmon's four times, but then St. Frusquin came up with six classic winners, compared to Persimmon's five. 

Unfortunately, St. Frusquin's sons did not amount to much as stallion but many of St. Frusquin's daughters were worth their weight in gold to breeders fortunate enough to have one in their broodmare herd. Oaks winner QUINTESSENCE, from Margarine by Petrarch, produced Clarissimus, a Radium colt which won the Two Thousand Guineas. She also produced two more classics-placed performers including Salamandra.

St. Frusquin's classics-placed daughter SALAMANDRA (from Electra, by Eager) produced a colt by the speedy The Tetrarch named Salmon Trout. This colt had the stamina to capture the St. Leger. Another daughter, SWEET BRIAR II, was imported to the United States and her blood was influential in American breeding. But Salamandra's great contribution would be through her daughter Flying Sally, foaled in 1919 as World War I was stalemated in the fields of Belgium and France. For in 1923 , Flying Sally would give birth to Salmon Fly out of the stallion Glasgerion. In 1935 Salmon Fly produced Coiner out of the French stallion Le Prodidge who had won the Prix Ganay. Le Prodige had been produced by Philosophy a tremendous daughter of the famed stallion Bay Ronald. And so it was that Coiner herself was bred to another of the Bay Ronald line named Legend of France. Legend of France was a son of Dark Legend From the  last English crop of Dark Ronald who get included the top runner  Legend of France.

As a result of the mating between Coiner and Prix winner Legend of France, the heavily inbred Century was born in 1948.  In 1955 Century was brought to the door of Fun Fair, a son of Fair Trial , the most influential son of Fairway. Bred by John A. Dewar, at Homestall Stud, East Grinstead, Sussex, he was one of the eight stakes winners out of his dam, besides Riot (dam of Commotion), and Sansonnet (dam of Tudor Minstrel). In 1955 Fun Fair was bred to the Irish born Century, who had been sent to a breeding farm in Chile. The result of their mating was  the Chilean born Centrality.

Centraility gave birth in 1960 to Compostela. who was bred to a stallion named River Forest, one of many hores moved to South America fof safety during World War II. In 1966 Compostela was bred back to a European horse named Monterey.  From Monterey was produced Mamaya, who in 1972 was bred to Lead the Way. They produced Laurea who got to the races and won her only start. Laurea earned the right to be bred to Gallantsky,  a son of the great Nijinsky, the greatest producing son of Northern Dancer and the powerful sire line that led back to Phalaris and Eclipse.

That mating resulted in Carita 1984.  Carita started 27 races and hit the board in eight of those starts all in Chile.  She was sent to the United States and bred to Preakness and Belmont winner Hansel,an impeccably bred son the Mr. Prospector stallion Woodman.   Hansel traced his lineage right through Raise a Native and Native Dancer, all the way back to Phalaris, Doncaster , Stockwell, back to Eclipse and ultimately to Bartlett's  Childers and the Darley Arabian, just as Carita Tosada did. Carita and Hansel, both descended from the Bartletts Childers gave birth to La Charita in  1996. In 2005 the unraced LaCharita would be matched with Benchmark, a fast son of Alydar. who came through Raise a Native and Native Dancer to Polynesian and back to Phalaris just as Hansel had. 

La Charita and the really bred Benchmark, son of Alydar, would give birth on March 9, 2005 to Table Four Ten, in whose blood the thoroughbred world coursed.


The Sire:



Chart of June 15th Debacle





A Grandson of Alydar...



Where Table Stands in Total Earnings

Idiot Proof, 2004, c., dam by Bertrando, 1st Ancient Title S.-G1, 1st Jersey Shore Breeders' Cup S.-G3

Ducky Drake, 2002, g., dam by Pleasant Colony, 1st Bill Thomas Memorial H., 1st Aoc

Mark's My Name, 2005, g., dam by Bertrando, 1st ATBA Spring Sales S., 1st Trl

Night Power, 2003, f., dam by Native Prospector, 1st Willow Lake H., 1st Aoc

Rare Exchange, 2003, f., dam by Ventriloquist, 1st Magali Farms S., 1st Aoc

Brother Derek, 2003, c., dam by Siyah Kalem, 3rd Strub S.-G2, 3rd San Fernando Breeders' Cup S.-G2

Benchmark's Bounty, 2005, f., dam by Pirate's Bounty, 3rd ATBA Fall Sales S., 3rd Miss Gibson County S.

Red Warrior, 2000, h., dam by Plugged Nickle, 3rd Sensational Star H., 5th El Conejo H.-G3

D Pirates Marker, 2004, f., dam by Pirate's Bounty, 2nd CTBA Marian S., 3rd Magali Farms S.

Table Four Ten, 2005, g. dam by Hansel, 6th Place, Maiden Race: Total Purses Won-. $19, 640

Home Page | Author Page | Journalist Page | Horseplay | Presidential Election | Sara Page | People Pages